Cumulus Portal for Geospatial Data
IMS and WMS Servers allow users the functionality of several data sources without the necessity of massive storage facilities. These services provide individuals the ability to remotely access, upload, manage, facilitate and process images and maps by catering to the users specified needs.
Steps for adding these services to an ArcMap session:
Start up an ArcMap session
- When using ArcMap, select the 'Add Data' button.
- Select 'GIS Servers'
- Select ArcIMS, ArcGIS, or WMS server (select one method below)
- a. Select 'Add ArcIMS Server' (examples below)
- i. Fill the URL: http://imsortho.cr.usgs.gov and click on the 'OK' button.
- ii. Fill the URL: http://imselev.cr.usgs.gov and click on the 'OK' button.
- iii. Fill the URL: http://gisdata.usgs.gov and click on the 'OK' button.
- b. Select 'Add ArcGIS Server'
- i. Fill the URL: Raster.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/services and click the 'Finish' button
- c. Select 'Add WMS Server'
- i. Go to the 'Online Mapping Services & Data Availability' page: http://cumulus.cr.usgs.gov/services.php
- ii. Click on the 'Service Access List' for the type of data you want
- iii. Find the dataset and click on the WMS link.
- iv. Within this document, use the 'xlink:href' URL string for the ArcMap 'Add WMS Server' URL
- A new entry has been added to the dialog box. Select this entry and click on the 'Add' button.
- The contents of the dialog changes to show all mapservices available on that mapserver.
- Select your desired mapservice and click on the 'Add' button.
- The mapservice has been added to your ArcMap session. Click on the '+' icon next to the mapservice name to see all available layers. You may have to zoom in to a valid display scale to see the data.